Pages

26 January 2012

How Much Can You Accomplish in One Year?

I've just arrived back to Uganda this past weekend. It's so great to be back! Right now it's dry season: hot and dusty. A nice change after the bit of snow in Bufalo. Although, I really was blessed...it was a pretty mild winter while I was in the States.

Anyway, as I've started to settle back in to life in Uganda I can't help but think back to where I was a year ago. Trying to figure out how I fit into life in Uganda and at RTC. I was overwhelmed by language, the work, learning people's names, etc. What a blessing to have the opportunity to come back...especially now that I know the routine and what's expected of me -- at least a little better. As I've been thinking back I looked through some journal entries from early last year. I found the following list dated 20.1.2011.

Things to work on at RTC:
  • pick ILS [Integrated Library System]
  • create cataloging workflow
  • train others how to catalog
  • create signs
  • finish regulation/rule/policy documents
  • set up orientations
  • speak to classes -- introduction
  • visit Makerere University Library
  • train students to use online catalog
  • teach English class?
  • set up designated reference hours?
  • look into adding databases
  • contact organizations about books
  • book sale
And there you have it. My To-Do list for last year. I'm happy to say I accomplished almost everything. There are a few things I didn't finish (finding out about databases or contacting places for new books)...but we DID catalog almost 5000 books, about half the collection. Plus, I (with Joshua's help!) installed computers, networked said computers, learned most students names, taught students about the computers and most importantly, built relationships with the students. So, I'd say: not bad!

Because I tend to be a big picture thinker, it's easy for me to get overwhelmed by all I want to do at RTC. But sometimes I just need to look back and see the actual things accomplished. Stay tuned for what we do this year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment