Pages

12 July 2015

Choosing Adventure

Last weekend I had the opportunity to attend a deaf church. When my roommate suggested I come with her, I didn't hesitate. Of course I would go! I also had the opportunity to go with a colleague and his family to visit his daughter at boarding school. Again, when the idea was presented, I didn't hesitate. Then, this past weekend, I went with my roommate to a sports gala for kids with special needs. I said I would help and had absolutely no idea what the day was except that it was a big event for kids with disabilities. All three adventures were amazing experiences -- memories I will treasure.

I'm realizing that this time in Uganda, and my last time in here, I was and am so willing to just say yes. To anything. I want to experience all this country, culture, and people have to offer. I want to build relationships and immerse myself. So I often say yes to doing things, even if I have no idea what I am in for.

Which has me thinking: am I as willing to choose adventure when I'm in the US?

To be honest, I think I shy away from many things when I am in my home culture. I feel hesitant to try new things or to just say yes. Even going to church by myself when Brian is out of town feels like a stretch. Why am I so willing to go off to who knows where and to sign up to do things here, when at home I hesitate?

I don't know why yet but I do know that I want to be more bold. To embrace the adventure of living in the US the way I embrace life in Uganda. This is one of those lessons I'm trying to hold on to and remember. I want to learn to embrace experiences in the US the way I've done here. To remain flexible and excited to try something new. To accept invitations without hesitation, knowing that by saying yes I am opening myself up to learning something new.

And, as always I want to remember that: the scary things, the things that make me hesitate, are always worth doing.


Kids performing at the Sports Gala

1 comment:

  1. Love this. I support and will participate in any and all US adventures. Miss you!!! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete